Jon Jones will file an application for licensure with the NSAC in order to compete at UFC 235 in Las Vegas, Nevada on March 2,” White told TMZ on Saturday. “Provided that license is granted, Jones will be defending his Light Heavyweight title against Anthony Smith in a five-round main event at the T-Mobile Arena.”
As we previously reported, several UFC fighters have been angling to get a crack at Jones after he returned from his suspension to beat up Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 232 last month … including Luke Rockhold, Corey Anderson and Smith.
But now, we’ve confirmed … Jon’s next opponent will be 30-year-old Smith, who’s currently on a 3 fight win streak after beating Volkan Oezdemir, Shogun Rua and Rashad Evans.
Smith is currently the #3 ranked light heavyweight — and just last week told TMZ Sports he’s “ready” for Jones. He also told us he wasn’t impressed with Jones in the Gustafsson fight.